Thursday, January 04, 2007

President Fords Funeral

I'm still recovering from yesterday. I watched President Ford's funeral, since it was right here in Grand Rapids it was really a piece of history for me.
We went down last week and signed the condolence book- that was a neat experience also.
I was really bummed because we forgot our cameras. Yesterday was the funeral here in Grand Rapids and it was incredibly moving to watch. The eulogies from President Carter really made me have much more respect for him and Donald Rumsfeld did a really nice job also. They sang "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah" and I had tears streaming down my face because they kept showing his son, Steven, and he was singing along with tears rolling down his face also. Then they went back to the museum for the interrment. Oh my goodness- when the planes did the fly over as the sun was setting it was too much. I couldn't hold it in again. All of his kids were crying and then Vice President Cheney handed Betty the flag and she hugged and kissed it. How moving. Even the reporters were crying. It was so nice to see all the people that came out to show their respect to the family- 57,000 people came in less than 1 day to view the casket and there were that many again to view the interrment. We will definately have to go to the museum in the future to really look again- it's been years since I've been there.
Anyway- I still have a headache today from trying not to cry- which I failed miserably at but it was a once in a lifetime experience and I'm glad I got to witness it!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Don't feel too bad - I only watched the graveside service and I was sobbing too. Not because he was the President or because I know him at all, but because I kept thinking about it being her husband, and their dad. And the gun salute and taps always get me too. It was definitely very special.

Anonymous said...

Well, you'll have to check out my blog because I was writing about the same thing. Yes, I was crying too. My eyes were quite sore last night. I figured my family would be having the same problem. Terri

Anonymous said...

Me too - I know we are all cryers but we weren't the only ones this time! MARI