Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering 9-11

September 11 is a day that will forever be sketched in my mind. I can really remember it like it was yesterday. I vividly remember being in the kitchen with the Today show on in the background and then the commotion of them showing the towers with the gaping hole and then actually seeing the next plane fly into the building. I was just glued to the tv. I couldn't turn it off- it was like my mind just couldn't believe this was happening. It continued with the Pentagon and then the feeling of not being safe. I knew our area wouldn't be a high target area but it was just so unsettling. The next day I heard a very loud plane flying very low over our house and I flew out the front door to see what was going on and my neighbor came out of her house because she heard it too. It was a military plane and it was just so unsettling.
I think I cried every day for a week. The thought of all those children without dads was just so so sad. The question of were those people saved was also on my mind. I remember praying that God through His miraculous ways touched those people in those horrible minutes at the end of their lives.
I hope our country NEVER forgets that day. I remember my parents talking about the big historical events in their lives and how you never forget those moments. For me 9-11 will always be one of those moments in my life.

2 comments:

Terri said...

I so agree with you. Even now watching programs that show the kids without their fathers brings tears to my eyes. Our country should never forget.

Laura said...

Yeah, It sounds heartless, but I don't like to watch the shows or hear the songs or anything like that, because I just can't handle those things. I didn't know anyone and it wasn't close to me, but I always start thinking about that Todd Beemer calling his wife and telling her he loved her and I start sobbing because I imagine what it would be like if it was me. So it's not that I'm trying to forget, I know I won't ever forget, but I just end up a big sobbing mess.