Friday, September 29, 2006

It's Friday!

Yeah!! It's Friday!
I love the end of the week. Tonight we have the last Birthday party for the kids- this one is on my side of the family. Thank goodness this is the last party for Halle's sake! ( You know the child who has no toys and it's so unfair etc.....- these parties are just painful for her to see Nick and Arianna getting toys again... and again she gets nothing! Isn't it just terrible how unfair we are to her! sigh...)
Tomorrow is another soccer game- hopefully it doesn't get rained out but it's not looking too good- we'll see.

I just wanted to get some opinions- I just saw an interesting segment on Good Morning America. It was about stay at home moms and motherhood in general. It was about the fact that motherhood and being home with the kids can really be boring some times. The big question was why don't moms talk about this. When you think of staying at home you picture this glorious time of baking cookies and playing outside with the kids etc...
You don't picture all the laundry and cleaning, fighting children, etc...
They were saying it's important to talk about the "reality" of it so you don't have all these false expectations. I have to say I agree with this. Now before I get raked over the coals let me say- I love my children very very much and I'm glad I get to stay at home most of the time. However, There are days when I would dearly love to work 2 days a week just to get out of the house!
A couple friends from church and I have started getting together 1 day a week for a couple of hours just to have some adult conversation and I think this is really important.
So here's my question to all of you:
Why is it so taboo to talk about the down side of being home with the kids?
Just want some other opinions on the subject!
Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

Jennifer (mom of four) said...

I am not sure why people don't talk about the downside. I could not have read this at a better time. I had a horrible morning with the kids. One was crying that she had nothing to wear and she looked stupid. This continued all the way to the bus stop. She was beside her self. I even emailed the teacher to give her a heads up. I can see how people can get down and depressed sometimes as a mom. Thanks for the blog.

Laura said...

I didn't know that people didn't talk about it. Maybe that's because I'm not a mom yet and I don't stay at home. But the grass is always greener too, because I dream all the time about getting to stay home because getting up at 5:30 to go to a place you hate for 9 1/2 hours fives days a week is no picnic either. And then still have to come home and do the laundry and dishes and lunches and keep the house clean. I always think - if I could just stay home one or two days a week, then my nights I could relax, and the house would be cleaner and I'd have time to get more done on the house and we wouldn't have to squeeze it in the four hours we're home together. Oh well! I guess we just have to live with where we're at! (Sorry - that was the longest comment ever!)

Anonymous said...

I thought people talked about the downside of both. I've heard both. I agree with Laura - the grass is always greener. I know when my kids were younger I felt like I missed things because I was going to work although it was only 2 nights a week back then. (I also know there were times I was glad to go so I know what you mean!) Now I often wish I wasn't working so much because I feel constantly busy. It helps that I enjoy my job! Mari

Jennifer (mom of four) said...

Thanks for reading my blog and leaving a comment. You are my first comment on my Blog. Thank you so much for looking. I still have not figured out how to do links. I would love to link to the Works for Me Wed. But I just don't know how yet. ha ha

Brenda said...

I have to say that I too love being a SAHM. I do have 2 in home jobs that gets me out yet I am accountable to no one but myself. Also the huge key is like Cheri said we are getting together 1 day a week with a couple of friends and can have adult conversation and have our therapy time. That for me has been the best!!!

I will be honest and say I for one do not want to go back out in the workforce as to have to all of a suddent be accoutable to a boss would through me for a loop.

Laura, one word of wisdom when you have kids and you stay home? your house will NEVER be clean, laundry will NEVER be done!! hee hee hee!!!

The one thing you need to do is just be honest with yourself and on those days where you are bored you pick up the phone and say hey lets go our for lunch!! hint hint hint!!!

Sarah said...

I think people don't talk about it for a few reasons.

#1 We all are expected to feel "lucky" to be able to stay home with our children by moms that don't get to. We ARE lucky but that doesn't mean it's perfect all the time. Who feels they have the right to complain when most find you "lucky"?

#2 Some people think that "just" staying home isn't enough. You should be able to do more. You are "just" a stay at home mom. If people think what you are doing is inferior and THEN you complain about it, well it just proves the naysayers right.

So some think it's great you get to stay home and others think it's not great. Either way it equates to you not being able to complain. And also

#3 Unfortunately being somewhat unsatisfied with your stay at home mom position can be seen as equated to being unsatisfried with your children which is not true. So I think mom's are hesistant to say negative things about being a stay at home because they don't want them taken as saying something negative about their children whom they adore.

-Sarah