Thursday, October 09, 2008

Guess where I'm going?

I'm getting excited! Next Thursday I leave for Mackinaw Island.
My mother in law is taking me and my 2 sisters in law to a conference.
It's called Win-Some-Women.
It's a Christian conference and the keynote speaker is Tony Campolo and
Gracia Burnham- I didn't realize who this was until I looked at her info:

GRACIA BURNHAM

On May 27, 2001, while celebrating their 18th wedding anniversary at Dos Palmas Resort off PalawanIsland, in the Philipines, Gracia and Martin Burnham were kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG), a militant group of Muslims. They were taken to BasilanIsland, an ASG stronghold. Remaining in captivity for 376 days, the Burnhams faced near starvation, constant exhaustion, frequent gun battles, coldhearted murder, and intense soul-searching about a God who sometimes seemed to have forgotten them. On June 7, 2002, in a firefight between the Philippine military and the Abu Sayyaf Group, Martin was killed and Gracia, although wounded, was rescued.

Selah is going to be performing at the conference as well. It should be such a good conference.

If that isn't enough- it's held at the Grand Hotel and we get to stay there! I've never been to the hotel before- it is so beautiful from the outside- I can't wait to see inside!



This will be such a nice little vacation- I hope Mark fares well being home with the kids by himself!!



post signature

13 comments:

Nate and Brenda said...

You are going to have a blast!!! Take tons of picture. Wait, what am I talking about, of cours you will!!!

We are planning on going up to see Zaria tonight I am sooooo excited!!!!

Zaankali said...

It sounds just wonderful! Think of how pretty it will be up there with the colors changing. I expect to see lots of pictures.
Smiles!

Diane said...

That sounds like it's going to be amazing! Have a great time - looking forward to your future blog posts! :)

Jodi said...

Yes, bring your camera! It's been many years since I've been to Mackinaw Island and I really want to go back! :) The conference sounds inspirational. You must keep us updated on that too! :) Have a good time!

Terri said...

I didn't know who that was either. How exciting. I can't wait to see the pictures!

Chad and Tammy said...

That sounds like a great conference, and what a place to have it!!! Have fun!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a ton of fun!Could we change places,I'm going to be with about 50 middle schoolers.yeah I know!Take care,Patty

Mari said...

You are so lucky! I know you will have a great time. I can't wait to see pictures.

A Stone Gatherer said...

That sounds awesome! I'm not one bit jealous, nope not one bit!!!! What a special gift!

Unknown said...

How is it that some people get to do all the fun stuff?? Have a great time..
oh Yeah, nice to see you for a minute tonite..

God's girl said...

OH that will be such a good time! I also love that island. I was there when I was a kid a few times.
MUch love,
Angela

Cherdecor said...

Cheri, For some reason blogs aren't coming up on my feed. This has been troublesome all week with all blogs.

Welp, I am back! What a wonderful time you are having, I am sure! I remember praying with my fourth grade class every day for Gracia Burnham and her husband when they were with their captors. We all cried when her husband was shot. I remember reading of her experiences. I bought her book.

Apple Dumplings with Blackberry Sauce? What could be better? YUM!

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

Ok, now I am jealous!

What a great time you are going to have. I can't wait to hear all about it.

I hope you take lots of pictures.