Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Relief

For about 1 1/2 months now Halle has been having headaches. Scary headaches that she was telling me would make her vision blurred.
I brought her in to the Dr and her neurological exam was fine and he thought it might be pressure from sinus issues.
She occasionally still complains of them so the next step was the eye Dr.
I just got home from the appt and Halle has glasses coming her way. She is a bit far sighted but what we think is causing her problem is what they call
convergience insuffiency.
From what I understand when you try to focus on something your eyes have to go inward a bit to "converge" or focus on the words you're trying to read.
When you have this problem the muscles are a bit too weak to do that easily so it causes extra strain on the eyes to work properly.
Apparently it's a common problem and not too big of a deal. Kids quite often grow out of it but in the mean time glasses with a special prism lens will help. If she continues to have headaches there are eye exercises also.
The Dr feels confident this is what is causing her problem and when she complains of blurry vision she is probably seeing double.

I'm so relieved. When your kids are having health issues- I don't think there's anything worse. Even though I figured it had to do with her eyes there's always that nagging fear in the back of your head that it's something much more serious.

We picked out glasses- They were the first ones we put on and they are SO cute on her and bonus- they were the cheapest ones- way to go Halle!!!!
She is actually very excited about them now that she has seen them. She wasn't before we went so this is good. Hopefully we get them before Spring Break Vacation.
She only has to wear them while at school and reading- not when she's outside so hopefully they won't break within the first month!






post signature

14 comments:

Nate and Brenda said...

Glad to hear that it was not so serious and that she likes the glasses she picked out!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you should be an eye tech, you explained that perfectly!

Glad that's all it is. Quiet often young kids out grow this issue as well :)

Can't wait to see pics of the new specs.

Cherdecor said...

It sounds like the glasses may correct the problem! I am so glad. We will be waiting for those cute pics!

Chad and Tammy said...

I got glasses when I was in first grade, after having LOTS of headaches. I don't know if it was the same problem Halle is having, but my headaches did go away after getting the glasses.

She'll be so cute in them!!

Mari said...

Glad to hear the results of the visit. Can't wait to see the glasses!

Aspiemom said...

I hope the glasses make a big difference and she doesn't have the headaches and blurriness anymore.

Short Stop said...

Laughing...your last line was hilarious!

I bet she will look absolutely adorable in her glasses. You'll have to post a pic for us!

I can only imagine how relieved you are. Praise God that the Dr.'s found the problem. Poor little sweetie.

Sandra said...

Glad everything is ok, I totally understand how terrifying kid illnesses can be. I get paranoid when mine tell me their head hurts or they feel sick.

A Captured Reflection said...

I'm very relieved for you Cheri. When Emma's headaches started I so thought of you and empathised with how you felt...you just never know eh?

Our son Joe is far sighted. He was diagnosed at 18months and putting glasses on him was hard work for a long time...but it was so worth it.

Now aged 8 he only needs his glasses for school work, computer and TV - his eyes have improved heaps. He had the eye turning in and also has astigmatism - there are also some fab. glasses out there now for girls and boys

TJ said...

I'm sure she'll be just adorable in her new specks. Please post a picture when she get them.

Unknown said...

Sounds like that problem will be solved. What a relief and hopefully glasses will be the cure.

Jodi said...

I'm glad everything worked out. I'm sure she'll look great in her new glasses!

A Stone Gatherer said...

Tell her she has to wear them to church once so I can see her. I with you on where my mind can go when the kids are sick - it must be a tuma! I have to relax!

Growin' With It said...

my AJ struggled with reading last year and we found out over the summer he needed glasses. i felt HORRIBLE. it has made a great difference and suprisingly these cute glasses have not gotten lost or broke yet!

how are you feeling these days btw?