Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Halle's big surprise

Before Christmas I contacted Halle's teacher and asked her if the class would be interested in writing letters to a soldier who was serving and was away from home at Christmas. Of course I had 1 particular soldier in mind- Andy!!
She was very excited about this and the class wrote such cute letters to him.
When I found out that he was going to be home before school got out for the year, I asked him if he would be willing to go in and talk to the class. He said he would and today was the day.
I didn't tell Halle because I wanted to surprise her. She had been asking me all weekend if Andy could come to her class and I kept brushing it off with my standard
"we'll see" answer.

Here she is when she came in from recess and saw Andy in her classroom:



Andy did a little talk and then let the kids ask him questions. They were surprisingly quiet- I thought they would have tons of questions. They did ask a few and then the teacher put some of the pictures that Andy brought along up on the screen so he could explain them to them.
The kids really liked it and at the end Andy gave them all a coin from Korea to take home. He did a really good job and I was proud!







post signature

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow what fun! I bet you could hardly stand it that you had a secret! I bet Halle never stopped grinning. So nice of Andy to share his experience with the kids. See ya soon,Patty

A Stone Gatherer said...

How awesome is that! I would have loved to see her face when she first saw him! That was so sweet of Andy to do!

Heather said...

I can imagine how thrilled Halle was to see him!! I looks like he did a great job!

Mari said...

It was fun! Andy enjoyed it too. Martha said the first thing Lydia said when she came home was - "I have money from Korea!" I'm about to put up a post on the same thing.

Jodi said...

What a great idea! What a great guy to come to the school and talk and even give the kids a gift!

Diane said...

What a great thing for Andy to do for these kids!!!! Just another way for him to serve his country... taking time out to talk to these kids! Way to go Andy! I'm so happy for you Halle to be able to have your cousin in school with you!!!! :)

Aspiemom said...

That is so cool!

Halle looks very happy there!

Zaankali said...

How fun! I bet Halle was floating on cloud nine.
Smiles!

Growin' With It said...

he even had a coin to give them? now that's impressive! i bet this is all surreal for mari *and you* to see this young man come full circle...speaking to kids at school. bet you're both proud as peacocks today!!

Terri said...

I was wondering what the Halle surprise was. That's pretty cool!

Cherdecor said...

Halle is so proud of him! That is just great! That Andy is a wonderful guy!

Melissa said...

What a fun surprise for Halle and her class! :)

Unknown said...

That was a great surprize!!! Andy is a good uncle!!

Rachel Slagle said...

this was a great post! super heart warming :)

Nate and Brenda said...

I LOVE it!!! I bet Halle went nuts when she saw Andy!!!

Cheri said...

Hey Nancy,
Andy will be a good uncle for sure but for now he's a cousin :)

Rebekah said...

Cousin Andy is so cool

Bonnie said...

Aww ! That first picture is so precious ! How sweet that they have such a great relationship !!

TJ said...

That was wonderful of Andy! Such precious pictures.

The Birds Nest said...

Go Andy!! That is awesome!!