Sunday, March 08, 2009

Health update

I thought I would update you all on what's been going on with my "sickness."
I have continued to struggle with not being able to eat without getting sick and I finally have a diagnosis.
IBS- Irritable Bowel Syndrome

The reason I'm posting this is because I'm looking for help. Does anybody out there have this also or know anybody that does?
The GI Dr said I had an infection or food poisoning that left me with this.
I'll just tell you I will never eat at Applebees again because this really is a nightmare. He told me he thought it would resolve in 2 weeks- well it's been 1 and it's not resolving and frankly from what I've learned online this is a life long thing. You have to figure out what foods trigger your symptoms and try to avoid them.
I've been doing a lot of research on line so I'm trying a few things. I went to the health store today and the lady there was very helpful. Her best friend also has it and guess how she got it- yup food poisoning!
When I worked at the Dr's office I saw people with it but I had no idea how life changing this is.
They suggest no dairy at all and a low fat diet or gluten free.
I really can't eat any fast food anymore and just going to restaurants is extremely difficult because you don't know how they're cooking the food or what all is in them.
I had broiled chicken last night and picked all the crust off so it was only meat and did the same with the potato wedges and still got sick last night.
Going to peoples homes for dinner is a problem and Holiday dinners will never be the same.
I have only been able to eat chicken breasts so I can't eat what my family is having for supper. For someone who loves to cook and bake this is just plain depressing.
This has to get better- I'm so hoping some of the things I learned from the support group forum will help me. My first concern is our vacation in a few weeks- I'm really going to have to plan ahead for that one.
I keep telling myself- this could be so much worse- It could have been some life threatening illness and it's not so I'm going to have to keep reminding myself of that.

If anybody has any info or helpful suggestions, I would really appreciate it!






post signature

10 comments:

TJ said...

Both of my sisters have IBS. They have expressed how it can take over your activities and alter your lifestyle. I am going to pray that God will deliver you completely from this. I have personally seen a friend of mine healed immediately after prayer. May all the glory and honor be to God!! Please let us know when you are healed - In Jesus Name.

Sandra said...

Oh Cheri, I'm so sorry. I wish I knew something about it or could offer some advice, unfortunately I can't. All I can do is pray, which I'm doing right now.

Hugs,
Sandra

A Stone Gatherer said...

Cheri I'm so sorry about how hard it is for you right now! I have no advice, but I am going to pray it does resolve itself soon!

Unknown said...

At least now you know what the problem is, but IBS seems to be different for everyone that has it, and you will have to be especially aware of what foods bother you & avoid them for sure.
I'll be praying for healing as well.

Growin' With It said...

i had food allergies BAD growing up so i can easily relate to *what to eat when everyone else is eating something else* but to have the affects you are dealing with...UGG. man cheri, this really is a long, bummer of a deal for you. i truly do hope you get some answers soon and can find a new normal! wish i had some help for ya.

Lori said...

Sorry to hear you're having this struggle, Cheri! It's so life altering when you have ongoing health issues! I can't really offer any advice- Dan and I have one friend who has had this for quite a few years. It seems like it took awhile working with his doctor re: meds that worked and foods to avoid, but in time he got it under control.
Healing would be wonderful, but please remember- sometimes (even often, it seems!) that isn't God's plan. I have found this to be true in various trials God has sent to me. Although God certainly cares deeply about His children and feels with them in their pain (Hebrews 4:15 and Lamentations 3:32), as a wise father, He knows that we learn and grow best through trials, because they send us hurrying to Him and to His Word for help. As much as we prefer to be free of difficulties, God often has the higher goal of our spiritual growth in mind. And that is for our ETERNAL good!!
Anyway, I sincerely hope this will be a relatively short-lived thing for you, but even if it isn't, you can be sure the Lord will see you through as you turn to Him for help!

Diane said...

Oh Cheri! This is such a bummer... I can't really offer much help for you except that Tori has somewhat severe acid reflux which affects her stomach in a very painful way. She could tell you what she needs to avoid but other than that I can't really be of much help. I will pray for you though and that you see how God is working this for good for you somehow. Love you sister!

Mari said...

I don't have any great advice either, as it seems this affects everyone differently. I'll be praying for healing too and for ways to cope as you wait.

Jodi said...

I have a friend in MN that has it but we haven't discussed it much. I know she had trouble for a long while before she got diagnosed with it. Now she tries to avoid dairy because I think that was her "trigger."

I'm sorry you have to go through this and I hope you find information and the help that will make things comfortable for you.

Rebekah said...

I would only suggest to see a 2nd Doctor. Not only to get another opinion, but they may have other suggestions for you