Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Good day for baking

Saturday it was blustery and snowing here and that always puts me in the mood to bake.
Arianna happened to be reading a Laura Ingalls Wilder book and at the end they had her recipe for gingerbread and Anna asked me if we could make it.
I thought it was a great idea so the baking started:





It was fun while baking this to think about the Ingalls family making this very
same recipe all those years ago.
Soon the smell filled our kitchen and the cake didn't dissapoint. Warm gingerbread with a topping of whipped cream- yum!




If you want to make it- here is the recipe:

1/2 c. brown sugar blended with 1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. molasses blended with
2 tsp. baking soda in 1 c. boiling water

To 3 cups of flour- add 1 tsp each of the following spices:
ginger, cinnamon, all-spice, nutmeg, cloves and 1/2 tsp. salt.
Sift into cake mixture and mix well.
Lastly, add 2 well beaten eggs.
Bake in a moderate oven for 30 minutes
(note- I did 350 and I had to leave it in for about 10 extra minutes.




post signature

11 comments:

Nate and Brenda said...

How fun!!! What a great day to make it too!!!

A Stone Gatherer said...

Boy that recipe is easy and it looks really good!

Cherdecor said...

I have always loved warm gingerbread. My mother always made it when I was about the age of Arianna. I used to make it in a heart shaped pan for Valentines Day.
I removed the heart shaped cake from the pan, laid a doily on top of the cake and sprinkled confectioners sugar on it. I removed the paper doily and VOILA! There was a beautiful design.

I bet that Arianna will never forget the book nor the baking of the cake now the good times you had making this. You are a great mom!

Terri said...

Do you remember baking that when we were young?

Jodi said...

The recipe looks great! I love that is said "moderate oven." It's great that a recipe can have special meaning like that. It's wonderful that Arianna is reading the Little House books. I'd like to encourage Leah when she gets older to read them as well. I never did when I was younger, but wish I had. I always liked the Little House shows though.

Anonymous said...

no i can't say as though i do remember mom since you never did that w/ us! and i always wanted to make a gingerbread house too1

~Kay~

Mari said...

What a fun thing to do! I could use a piece right now.

TJ said...

Sounds like a special day. There are always memories when you bake with kids.

Unknown said...

Is there any left??? I think I can smell it!!

Anonymous said...

I remember trying to read those books but never enjoyed reading very much. Good for Arianna, reading is such a great thing to be good at! You're a good mom, baking with the girls. Take care,Patty

Anonymous said...

Does it come out really soft? I love it when it's soft.